Despite what you may have heard, there is still some rural land left in Amerika. The only really free land is available in Alaska and remote barren areas of the western states. The latest information in this area is found in a periodic publication called Our Public Lands, available from the Superintendent of Documents, Washington, D.C. 20402. It costs $1.00 for a subscription. Also contact the U.S. Department of the Interior, Bureau of Land Management, Washington, D.C. 20240 and ask for information on “盈彩彩票steading.” By the time this book is out though, the Secretary of the Interior’s friends in the oil companies might have stolen all the available free land. Being an oil company is about the easiest way to steal millions. Never call it stealing though, always refer to it as “research and development.”
Continental United States has no good free land that we know of, but there are some very low prices in areas suited for country communities. Write to School of Living, Freeland, Maryland, for their newspaper Green Revolution with the latest information in this area. Canada has free land available, and the Canadian government will send you a free list if you write to the Department of Land and Forests, Parliament Building, Quebec City, Canada. Also write to the Geographical Branch, Department of Mines and Technical Surveys, Parliament Building, Quebec City, Canada. Correspondence can be carried out with the Communications Group, 2630 Point Grey Road, Vancouver 8, British Columbia, Canada, for advice on establishing a community in Canada. The islands off the coast of British Columbia, its western region and the area along the Kootenai River are among the best locations.
If you just want to rip off some land, there are two ways to do it; openly or secretly. If you are going to do it out front, look around for a piece of land that’s in dispute, which has its sovereignty in question-islands and deltas between the U.S. and Canada, or between the U.S. and Mexico, or any number of other borderline lands. You might even consider one of the abandoned oil-drilling platforms, which are fair game under high seas salvage laws. The possibilities are endless.
If you intend to do it quietly, you will want a completely different type of location. Find a rugged area with lots of elbow room and plenty of places to hide, like the Rocky Mountains, Florida swamps, Death Valley, or New York City. Put together a tight band of guerrillas and do your thing. With luck you will last forever.
If you just want to camp out or try some hermit living in the plushest surroundings available, you’ll do best to head for one of the national parks. Since the parks are federal property, there’s very little the local fuzz can do about you, and the forest rangers are generally the live-and-let-live types, although there have been increasing reports of long-hairs being vamped on by Smokey the Pig, as in Yosemite. You can get a complete list from National Park Service, Department of the Interior, Washington, D.C. 20240. The following is a list of some good ones:
* ALABAMA-Russell Cave National Monument, Bridgeport 35740
* ARIZONA-Grand Canyon National Park, Box 129, Grand Canyon 86023
* ARKANSAS-Hot Springs National Park, Box 1219, Hot Springs 71901
* CALIFORNIA-Yosemite National Park, Box 577, Yosemite 95389*
* COLORADO-Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park, 80517
* FLORIDA-Everglades National Park, Box 279, 盈彩彩票stead 33030
* IDAHO-Boise National Forest, 413 Idaho Street, Boise 83702
* ILLINOIS-Shawnee National Forest,Harrisburg National Bank Building, Harrisburg 62946
* KENTUCKY-Mammoth Cave National Park, Mammoth Cave 42259
* LOUISIANA-Kisatchie National Forest, 2500 Shreveport Hwy., Pineville 71360
* MAINE-Acadia National Park, Box 338, Bar Harbor 04609
* MARYLAND-Assateague Island National Seashore, Rte. 2 Box 111, Berlin 21811
* MASSACHUSETTS-Cape Cod National Seashore, South Wellfleet 02663
* MICHIGAN-Hiawatha National Forest, Post Office Building, Escanaba 49829
* MISSOURI-Mark Twain National Forest, 304 Pershing St., Springfield 65806
* NEVADA-Lake Mead National Recreation Area, 601 Nevada Hwy, Boulder City 89005
* NEW MEXICO-Aztec Ruins National Monument, Route 1, Box 101, Aztec 87410
* NEW YORK-Fire Island National Seashore c/o New York City National Park Service Group, 28 E. 20th St., New York, NY 10003
* NORTH CAROLINA-Wright Brothers National Memorial Box 457, Manteo 27954
* OKLAHOMA-Platt National Park, Box 201, Sulphur 73086
* OREGON-Crater Lake National Park, Box 7, Crater Lake 97604
* UTAH-Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce Canyon 84717
* WYOMING-Yellowstone National Park, Yellowstone Park 83020
*This summer Yosemite forest rangers tried to evict a group of Yippies from their encampment. The Yippies rioted in the valley, spooked the tourists, burned cars and fought for their right to stay.
Earth People’s Park is an endeavor to purchase land and allow people to come and live for free. They function as a clearing house for people that want to donate land and those who wish to settle. They own 600 acres in northern Vermont and are trying to raise money to buy more. Write to Earth People’s Park, P.0. Box 313, 1230 Grant Ave., San Francisco, California 94133.
People’s Parks are sprouting up all over as people reclaim the land being ripped off by universities, factories, and corrupt city planning agencies. The model is the People’s Park struggle in Berkeley during the spring of 1969. The people fought to defend a barren parking lot they had turned into a community center with grass, swings, free-form sculpture and gardens. The University of California, with the aid of Ronald Reagan and the Berkeley storm troopers, fought with guns, clubs and tear gas to regain the land from the outlaw people. The pigs killed James Rector and won an empty victory. For now the park is fenced off, tarred over and converted into unused basketball courts and unused parking lots. Not one person has violated the oath never to set foot on the site. It stands, cold and empty, two blocks north of crowded Telegraph Avenue. If the revolution does not survive, all the land will perish under the steam roller of imperialism. People’s Death Valley will happen in our lifetime.